Apr 13, 2018
Did you know not all tortillas are created equal? At Costa Vida, we’re pretty much in love with tortillas, and we know if you want the best Mexican food, you have to start with the best tortillas. Not piles of those shrink-wrapped massed produced ones, but tortillas hand-made and cooked the old fashioned way.
Every day we mix up our tortilla dough from scratch, roll them out, then grill them before your eyes on our seasoned cast iron comal. These large, round cast iron griddles have been used to cook flatbreads like tortillas since 700 BCE, and we didn’t see any reason to shirk tradition. All this extra effort pays off—the result is the freshest, most delicious base for enchiladas, tacos, and burritos. And guess what? They only have a 10-minute shelf life, so you know you're getting the freshest possible!
You can find more about why our tortillas are the best here. A
Of course, the humble tortilla brings a lot to the table (ba dum tss!); in addition to mouth-watering Mexican dishes, tortillas can take on exciting new roles in breakfast, lunch, and even dessert.
Curious? Here are 5 great things to do with a tortilla:
1. Make them sweet
- Apple Pie Tortilla Cups are healthier than traditional apple pie and a fraction of the work, but just as delicious!
- Cheesecake Taquitos deliver on cheesecake goodness with no fork to stand in your way.
2. Stack them
- Vegan Stacked Enchilada Pie is layered with so much flavor you won’t miss the meat.
- This Santa Fe Tortilla Stack takes the quesadilla to healthy new heights—literally— with black beans, corn, and caramelized onions.
3. Roll Them
- Fruit-filled French Toast Wraps are the love-child of a crepe and French toast—the perfect sleep-in weekend breakfast.
- Guacamole and tortillas resembling adorable ice cream cones? We just died and went to avocado heaven.
4. Bake them
- A weeknight crowd pleaser, Chicken Tortilla Casserole features homemade but oh-so-easy tomato sauce and a little heat thanks to fresh jalapeños.
- Baked tortilla shells are one part fancy, one part super easy, and can be filled with anything your heart desires—Barbecue Prawn and Corn Tortilla Cups perhaps?
5. Take them international
- Tortillas replace traditional lasagna noodles in spicy, gooey Mexican Lasagna.
- Greek Tortilla Pinwheels make a perfect healthy lunch on-the-go or easy appetizer!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy Costa Vida’s made-from-scratch tortillas?